Saturday, June 8, 2013

Anniversary Time

On Sunday, we went and celebrated our anniversary which I will write about as you scroll down.  But our actual anniversary day, Kade had to work, but I thought I would make him a yummy dinner anyway for when he got home(he never likes to eat a meal late at night).  We had salmon with brown rice and steamed spinach, and I made a apple crisp with vanilla ice cream for a treat after.    
 Kade loved his dinner, he was surprised.  But I was even more surprised when he came through the door with a big bunch of roses! :)  Made my whole night! 
 I had a little tiny bunch of silk flowers that I had put in the middle of the table, but those were soon replaced with this much more beautiful arrangement!
We were able to attend the Columbia temple for our anniversary as well, which I really loved.  It was so nice to go to the temple.  Its been difficult to go because Kade is so busy with the office and the temple sessions don't start until 9, which puts us 12:30 getting back to the apartments and their meeting starts at 12, so we haven't been able to do it yet, but we were able to this once and I'm so glad! :)
 
Drayton Hall! Kade surprised me and got a package deal on the Drayton Hall and the Magnolia Plantation!  He knew I've been wanting to go to both of them so that's what we did.  Drayton Hall is one of the oldest original plantation homes in the US. 
 Drayton Hall has been preserved, and will continue to be preserved, not restored. They wanted to keep everything original.
 Even the paint is original from way back!  And the stairs were awesome! This place was completed in 1742, so its 271 years old!
 It was cool seeing this home and picturing how the people lived back then. 
 It was also interesting hearing the facts about the slaves(or servants).  They were always kept behind closed doors unless they were serving meals and things like that. 
After Drayton, we went to the Magnolia Plantation.  We actually didn't go inside this home.  We spent our day out in the gardens.
 The gardens felt like they would never end, which I was very much ok with.  I think we saw 10 different bridges that crossed water.  The bridges were everywhere and they were beautiful!
 They had this cool wildlife overlook that you could climb 4 flghts of stairs to get to.  It was cool to look out over the Ashley River.  It was also nice to be above the trees for once! :)
 I think this was my favorite bridge, only because of the trees that hang right over your head and the green swamps below and you could see the Ashley River through an opening in the trees to the right. 
 There was actually a petting zoo at Magnolia Plantation, and this deer decided that I  tasted good, and then she decided that she wanted to eat my dress! :)  She was cute.
 I feel like South Carolina is kind of a tropical feel.  It is very humid that's for sure!  Its pretty hot but not unbearable yet.  I'm sure that come July, it will be SUPER hot. I'm glad it wasn't too hot for our visit here.
 In this picture, there is an alligator on the very bottom right of the pic.  We didn't realize he was there when we took the pic, but he snuck his way into my photo!
 I also loved this bridge.  So pretty!
 And another bridge!  I'm not sure how much we walked but probably a few miles at least!
 The edge of the gardens is bordered by the Ashley River.  I was taking pictures and I saw and heard something come to the surface.  It was dolphins!  They kept coming up to the surface for a while so we sat and watched them :) So fun!
 In this pic, you can actually see two bridges, one on the left through the trees and one on the right.
 We saw lots more alligators again!  Only this time we got even closer to one.....Kade could've held a yard stick and reached out and touched it!  It kinda made me nervous!
 Alligator behind Kade!
 I love the trees here.  I can't get enough of them.  I love all the moss that grows on them.
 
This peacock was showing off for everyone that day!  He just kept fanning out, so I took advantage of the moment and got lots of pics of him!  Fun day!  Thanks Kade for a great anniversary!

No comments: